Kimchi Fried RiceDifficulty: Medium
1 cup kimchi (*see notes), cut into thumbnail size pieces
150g / 5.3 ounces bacon, cut into thumbnail size pieces
(optional) 1 pack enoki mushrooms (200g, 7 ounces), root removed, rinse the mushrooms in cold water and drain.
3 cups steamed white short/medium grain rice – if it is freshly cooked, leave it out for 5 to 10 mins at room temperature to cool down before cooking.
4 x-large eggs, cooked sunny side up or per your preference
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/4 cup kimchi juice (*see notes) – this liquid is from the bottom of the kimchi container
1/2 Tbsp sesame oil
1/2 Tbsp cooking oil
1 to 2 Tbsp roasted sesame seeds, to garnish
(optional) 1/2 stalk green onion, thinly sliced
(optional) roasted seasoned seaweed, shredded
Ideally the kimchi is at least 2 weeks old. If not, add 1/2 tsp rice vinegar into the kimchi juice to make it sour.
Obtaining 1/4 cup of kimchi juice can be difficult if your kimchi is fairly new. In that case, use 2 1/2 Tbsp kimchi juice and 1 Tbsp gochujang instead. If you want it to be not spicy, you can add 1 Tbsp soy sauce instead of gochujang.
1 Tbsp = 15 ml, 1 Cup = 250 ml
- On medium high heat preheat a pan/wok and once heated, add the cooking oil and spread it well with a spatula.
- Add the garlic, stir it fast for about 10 seconds. Then add the bacon and stir it well until half of it is cooked.
- Add the Kimchi and stir until 80% of it is cooked.
- (Optional) Add the mushrooms and mix them well for a few seconds. Reduce the heat to medium-medium low.
- Add the rice and the kimchi juice. Mix all of them together well and thoroughly.
- Add the sesame oil and mix them well. Remove from the heat.
- Serve the Kimchi fried rice on a plate. Garnish with the sesame seeds, green onion and seaweed strips. (Garnish is all optional). Place the cooked egg on top. Enjoy!
- Credit to: Sue (https://mykoreankitchen.com/kimchi-fried-rice/)