young coconut or pandan leaves (as green as possible without brown edges)
1 1/2 kg of rice or glutinous rice
2-3 tbsp salt (optional)
- Make the ketupat casing using the leaves as in the video tutorial (link below).
- Rinse the rice thoroughly with 2-3 changes of water until the water runs clear, drain, then set aside to dry.
- Fill up each ketupat casing with rice with about 40% full where there are two short parts of the coconut leaves jutting out.
- Seal the opening by tucking the jutting leaves.
- When all ketupat are filled and sealed, tie them together in packages of 10 to cook.
- Bring a large pot of water and add 3 tbsps of salt with ketupats to a boil. Make sure that all the ketupat is fully submerged. Cook ketupat for 3 to 4 hours over medium heat.
- Add water as needed to avoid burning the pot base.
- Once ketupat are cooked, remove from pot, hang dry and serve with Satay or Hari Raya dishes.
- Image Credit – mohdzaidy
Recipe Submitted by Mariam
Credit to: http://www.singaporelocalfavourites.com